Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Updates

The smell of fall is in the air in Colorado. Okay, well, it's still pretty warm here, but the mornings and evenings are perfect! So what has been happening in the life of the G. family???

  • I have convinced hubby to semi-decorate the house for fall. He thinks that I decorate for seasons far too early (understandable since I once decorated for Christmas in October) but I have convinced him at least to let me change out decorative pillow covers, candles, kitchen linens, place mats, etc. to fall colors. The fall color scheme is by far my favorite, and I'm loving the warmth it brings to my house. J. even bought me a small pumpkin to make the place more festive. When I do go all out, I will post pictures (hopefully a couple of weeks from now).
  • I have experienced success in the bread baking department! I have been baking bread for a while now, but moving to an elevation more than 4,000 feet higher than my previous location has been bad for baking... especially whole wheat breads. I have tried everything under the sun to adjust recipes and nothing has worked. I was so close to buying a bread maker when I checked out a high altitude baking book from the library. Alas, success with a whole wheat bread! Now my small kitchen can be spared from a huge clunky bread maker and J. and I can eat well.


  • I am reading too much at the moment: The Monk, The Devil in the White City, Sea of Monsters, and The Sunday Philosophy Club (this one is for a book club at work). I feel like I'm finally back to a reading routine, which makes life seem just right again.
  • We're slowly preparing for our big trip to the southern hemisphere in November. Does anybody know anything about getting a temporary cell phone that works overseas? We've already decided that we don't want to take the laptop with us because we'll be traveling all over the north and south islands, but don't want to be completely isolated... it would be nice to communicate with family once in a while.
  • As if I wasn't already a nerd, I have forged new paths of geekery and am now taken with this show. I found out recently that my best friend from college attended this this past weekend. I continually wondered why we never explored these interests in college! Sigh, the life of a nerd.

6 comments:

Amanda Roper said...

Seems to me that you're serving up that delicious looking homemade bread with a hot NERD CASSEROLE!

Sus said...

How did you escape grad school with out me introducing you to Firefly? This was my bad. (I went as Kaylee and Erik went as Simon last year at Halloween) :) Joss is awesome. Check out his new show "Dollhouse" - if you wind up liking firefly.

TronG said...

Amanda-- nerd casserole indeed!

Sus-- I remember that you liked Buffy, and I remember hearing about Firefly in the basement of the library (all of the ALF processing folks loved Firefly) but I don't remember you mentioning it! I meant to tell you that I was watching the show and that I do indeed like it!

Andrew said...

Re: Firefly: better late than never. Great show.

Unknown said...

ummmm....so let's discuss how good that bread looks, shall we?

Samantha said...

FIREFLY! Mal Mal Mal Mal Mal. :D