Friday, September 04, 2009

Better Late Than Never, I Suppose...

This is an interesting article, but about 5 years behind the curve. We were discussing this very same topic when I began graduate school a whopping 5 years ago. It never ceases to amaze me how many stereotypes there are out in the real world about libraries... like how anybody who works in a library is a "librarian" or "books will be completely obsolete in a few years." I don't see why it's so weird that libraries have evolved/are evolving, considering that every industry/profession does the same. It's obvious that I am way too involved, and that I wouldn't be shocked if this wasn't my life, but I'm shaking my head nonetheless. Seriously, who has seen a shushing, bun-wearing librarian with pointy glasses in the last 10 years?

I have to wonder what I tend to stereotype, and who is shaking their heads at me...

3 comments:

Mary said...

I like the part about young librarians who post to Twitter and write blogs having no respect for Dewey. Just because I'm interested in technology, doesn't mean I don't appreciate organization (and miss it when I go to Borders).

TronG said...

Amen, Mary!

Sus said...

I second both of your sentiments, and can I just add that I love the "" around "information specialist" "information scientist" as if my degree wasn't in Library and INFORMATION SCIENCE already...

And yay for Dewey (especially the cute little cat from Iowa)

Thanks for sharing Trac,
S