Thursday, August 27, 2009

Book Review: Madame Bovary

Author: Gustave Flaubert
Originally Published: 1857 (after the back lash)
Read in: July and August 2009

After months and months of reading British literature (my favorite) I decided to move back to my college roots and read a French author. I don't know much about Flaubert (I have only read "A Simple Heart" up to this point) but was interested in reading Madame Bovary. I had a much easier time finishing this book than my last classic, perhaps because the main character was a bit on the tragic side for my tastes.

The book is basically the story of what happens when a woman, Emma, gets very bored with her life and lives for a fantastic ideal. At a young age, her father hands her over to Charles Bovary, a second-rate physician. She is almost immediately tired of the marriage and is repulsed by Charles. The physician thinks she needs a change of scenery and moves her to a different town. The new location only distracts Emma more and she begins to form relationships with other men. Emma also has a taste for the finer things in life and her reckless attitude with money combined with her passion for... well, passion creates dire consequences for her and Charles.

Overall, I enjoyed this book. Flaubert's writing style and his attention to detail were amazing. But I LOATHED Emma, mainly because I am not a romantic. I realize that the novel was likely a social critique of the time, so she had to be over the top, but I have never read about a more self-centered character. Sadly, I think we can all see some part of ourselves in Emma, because nobody is perfect.

Next on the list? Matther Lewis's The Monk. Should be creepy!

1 comment:

Laura's Reviews said...

It's been awhile since I read this book, but I've been thinking lately about rereading it. I read it about ten years ago and really hated Emma. I've been wondering if after some time has passed if I should perhaps give it a try again. Maybe I should look at the writing and social commentary as you suggest!