With the recent loss of one of my best friends, my dog C.J., I'm really in need of some great reading right now to deal with my grief and escape from real life and this empty house (it's not really empty, it just seems that way.) I completed Carl's R.I.P. II challenge this fall and loved it. He has brought back another popular challenge and I once again find myself a participant and slightly pushing myself into the book blog world yet again. I'm very excited about this challenge entitled "Once Upon a Time" because the reading parameters are fantasy, folklore, mythology, and fairy tales. I enjoy all of these genres, but particularly in the spring and summer, as my book choices seem to be heavily influenced by the seasons. After all, what a better escape from all this rainy weather (yes, we're getting it in parched for any moisture Georgia) than a good story.I'm still working on other reads, so I won't likely get to the challenge until around the beginning of April. It lasts from March 21st - June 20th, so I have some time. I am choosing the "Quest the First" option and will read 5 books that fit into the above genres. I plan on reading two books in April and May and one in June to allow for other reading (Agatha Christie and Wuthering Heights are calling my name) and to spread books out. I will post the reviews individually, rather than including them in my monthly book wrap-ups. Anyways, here are my picks.
1. The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly- I've actually had this book sitting on my to-be-read pile for months now and this challenge seems like the perfect time to pick it up. My friend Amanda just finished it and loved it.
2. American Gods by Neil Gaiman- I read Coraline years ago and really liked it. I haven't gotten around to any of his other novels yet, and here is another great opportunity to read some more Gaiman.
3. The Helmet of Horror: The Myth of Theseus and the Minotaur by Victor Pelevin- I've always been fascinated by labyrinths and the myth of the minotaur. This is supposed to be a new twist on the myth and I'm looking forward to reading it.
4. Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke- This is another book that has sat on my tbr pile for months. It looks long, but I've heard so much about and I can't wait to read it.
5. The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley- This is another long book and a re-read for me, but I like to come back to it every few years and this challenge gives me the excuse to do just that.
I will also be reading my copy of Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales in between each book. I have been doing this for about a year now, and am maybe 1/4 of the way through the book. Needless to say, it won't be finished by the time the challenge is over.
I look forward to reading all of the reviews!
11 comments:
I am so sorry for your loss. We had to put our dog to sleep last May after a stroke and it was, and sometimes still is, very hard to be without him. I am glad to help provide a distraction for you through some wonderful reading and good company to talk books with. You have some great choices in your list, I'm very excited for you!
I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your dog :( I know how our pets become just as much a part of our families as anyone. I hope this challenge provides a good distraction to you. I must say that you have my favorite list so far :) American Gods is one of my favorite books ever and Jonathan Strange and The Book of Lost Things were two of my favorite books last year. Have fun!
I really like your list. I loved The Mists of Avalon, but haven't read any of the others you listed, so I look forward to reading your reviews.
Sorry to hear about your dog, but those are some great books to try and perk you up a bit. Mists of Avalon, Jonathan Strange and American Gods are great. I really want to read the other two on your list as well at some point.
sorry to hear of your loss. :o(
I hope this reading challenge will help some!
Wow you have a "hefty" list! For no particular reason I've never read Mists of Avalon but thought about it many times, I'll look forward to your review.
I loved the Book of Lost Things! I hope you enjoy it as well !
I'm really really sorry to hear about the loss of your dog :( I have been through something similar (except it was my cat) and I know how it feels :(
I have book #3 on my list for the challenge too. The others are all books I absolutely LOVE. You have some great reading ahead of you :)
So sorry about CJ. Hope your reading will give you the comfort you need.
Susanna Clarke has also been on my bookshelves for year. But it's so daunting.
I love Mists of Avalon. It was the first time I saw Morgan Le Fay put in such a sympathetic light.
Have fun!
Thanks to everybody for both the book and dog comments. It's amazing how much support my family has gotten from his loss and how much people understand that he was so much more than "just a dog." All of your lists are awesome (my book pile grows as I type this) and I can't wait to read the reviews!
-traci
The Book of Lost Things is on my list too - I've heard only good things about it. Jonathan Strange was on my RIP II list, but I never got to it. Might have to add that one in this fall!
Morgaine fm. Mists is my personal literary hero. Always worth a re-read.
Good luck with the Gaiman. If you understand it, explain it to me. I need to read it again at some point.
:) Thanks for posting all this. I recently signed on to LibraryThing and have lots of "To Reads" thanks to the things you post that sound interesting.
PS - What exists of Sanditon is AWESOME, and I am sad that Ms. Austen didn't finish it.
Post a Comment