Sunday, March 23, 2008

Tagged

I've been tagged by Texas Dawg and various others (and oddly enough I met these people in middle school as well) to do the "ten random things about yourself" blog. I won't tag anybody else, because I think I've pulled this scheme before with people and it's not fair for me to constantly tag the same people. Regardless, I need to do the survey myself, even though the same survey is likely somewhere else in the archives.

1. I secretly (well, it's not such a secret anymore) enjoy planning my wedding. I really do get annoyed with all of the fuss for one damn day, but I really look forward to married life starting in October. However, I refuse to get stressed over stupid things, and do a bunch of unnecessary traditions just because everybody else does them at their weddings. So what if we don't want a first dance!

2. Ever since I was a kid, I have gone through phases where I am unable to fall asleep because I am worrying about various reasons. The only times I don't remember doing this were in high school and college, and to an extant, graduate school. I did worry in graduate school, but it was usually about more mundane things like a boy or school. I usually tend to worry about things that I can't control too, which makes the worry practically superfluous.

3. I tend to have a hobby that sort of takes over my life. Right now, it's reading (well that has been consistent practically all of my life excluding my teens.) In high school and college it was color guard. The bad thing about devoting yourself to these hobbies is that you begin to rely on them for your happiness. Luckily, books rarely fail me.

4. I get more and more shy as I grow older. I am also getting oddly more confident with age, so I'm not exactly seeing the correlation between the two.

5. I compulsively shop online. I put things in a store's cart or basket, look at the price, and then usually delete everything. Basically what I am trying to say is that I'm a saver unless it's something I (or Jon and I) need. Books seem to be the only exceptions anymore. And Chick-fil-A for breakfast once a week when I have to open the library or work on a weekend day.

6. I'm a planner. I plan a trip or our future dog or anything to the point where I get sick of it and have to put it away for a while until my interest is renewed and I can effectively plan more. Many things are left half-planned for quite a while, but everything works out in the end.

7. I hate driving at night.

8. I really really REALLY love the British. I fell in love with England three years ago when I visited with my aunt and cousin. Now I'm into all of the pop culture and definitely prefer the literature to American novels. The tea isn't bad either. Earl Grey is my hero.

9. The only thing I have ever picked up quickly is language acquisition. I love learning a foreign language and the pursuit of sounding like a native (which likely never happens but it's nice to get compliments from natives.) After 3 years of speaking only English, I find myself terribly missing French and Italian classes because I've lost so much knowledge in such a short amount of time.

10. I usually complete my household chores in 10 minute increments. I do 10 minutes of work and alternate it with 10 minutes of reading or watching a movie. I'm not ADD but I can't sit and read a book or watch a movie for hours without breaking the monotony. I feel like I'm more attentive to all activities when I do this, and each chore is done more thoroughly.

Feel free to do this if you want. Nobody is forcing you, but I'd like to see people's answers.

4 comments:

Camille said...

I do 5 and 10 too! I thought I was the only person who filled up an online shopping cart and then deleted it! :)

Amanda Roper said...

I just might have to do this meme...

Anonymous said...

Hi Traci, was reading your post and had to comment on your #1. It's so funny what you said about the traditions b/c we have opted not to do the garter toss OR cake cutting. Actually we are not even having a cake, we are having individual desserts. Now what sounds better to you: tiramisu and/or chocolate mousse tower OR boring slice of dried out/sugary but not sweet enough frosting?

Planning is fun, and just for the record, I told myself I would not get stressed, but I got SO bad last week that I ended up getting the flu. No more stress for me, I'm letting go :-)
Kara B.

PS how do you find time to read so much?? I think people who read a lot are awesome! (Seriously)

TronG said...

Camille-- yeah, we need to start a savers anonymous club or something.

Kara-- wow, I'm sorry you got sick! It is stressful. I'm glad I'm not the only one opting out of traditions, as a wedding is a purely subjective thing and should really only please the bride and groom. Enjoy your tiramisu!

Oh, and I definitely make time for the reading... usually opting out of watching any movies or TV.