February proved fairly productive in the book area. I was able to complete 7 books, including 3 classics... not too bad for the shortest month of the year!

My first completed book was Marcus Zusak's
I am the Messenger. I completed a book review on Zusak's
The Book Thief which was published this month in
The Georgia Library Quarterly. This book was published earlier than
The Book Thief and I figured I should try it out since I thought the latter so unique and amazing. This book didn't fail me in the least. It's set in Australia (the author's home) and is about an underage taxi driver, Ed Kennedy, who's not doing much with his life other than hanging out with his group of friends and playing cards. His life changes after he sticks up to a criminal during a bank robbery and starts receiving cards (like playing cards) in the mail with directions to locales of people in need of something, whether it be help or violence. With these cards and the duties attached to them, he is forced to make something of his life. The story is heartfelt, but has really humorous and sad points in it that don't make the book sappy. I hate sap. Zusak is one of my favorite modern writers and I highly recommend both
I am the Messenger and
The Book Thief to anybody.

My second February read was Stella Gibbons'
Cold Comfort Farm. Gibbons wrote the novel in response to all of the romantic "farm" novels of the time (Thomas Hardy, etc.) with each rural character representing some doom-laden problem with these novels. Flora Poste comes to stay with her cousins, the Starkadders, when her parents die. With the help of her book,
The Higher Common Sense, she is able to solve each family member's problems, including the dreaded Aunt Ada Doom, and bring them all into the 20th century. I thought this book was great, although I imagined all of the rural characters with accents from the American south rather than some rural form of British. Oops! While I do enjoy the rural doom in the Thomas Hardy's books, this was a good novel to sort of set things in perspective for me. It's easier for me to move on to another genre than it was in the 1930s when this was published. I can see how as a writer, Gibbons got sick of seeing the same stuff over and over again.

The lightest read this February for me was Jerry Spinelli's sequel to
Stargirl, called
Love, Stargirl. This book is in diary form and is written by Stargirl, a sort of modern hippy girl who is living in Pennsylvania after her first attempt at attending public school in Arizona (she is home schooled.) The diary doubles as separate letters to her ex-boyfriend in Arizona, Leo, who had some issues accepting Stargirl for who she was and readily encouraged her to be normal Susan (her birth name.) I read the sequel because Spinelli creates such vivid and engaging characters with phobias and issues that one sees in real life. Stargirl is a little too "good" for me, and perhaps that's why this wasn't my favorite read of the month or why teens don't flock to these books as much like they do
Twilight, etc. but I enjoyed the sequel and will likely read any more that come out. Spinelli is one of those classic Children's/YA authors that still writes just as relevant books today as he did with
Maniac Magee from my childhood.

My first re-read of the year is none other than the classic
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. I first read it in high school as a requirement for AP English and hated it. The only part I remember even enjoying was the showdown between Elizabeth and Lady Catherine de Bourgh. I remember doing horribly on the exam and failed to see the pleasure when my teacher crowned me Miss Elizabeth Bennet at the
Pride and Prejudice ball. A few years ago, I decided to give Austen another chance after watching the movies and finally started reading other Austen novels. I fell in love with them and subsequently fell in love with
Pride and Prejudice after a rocky start. So far (I still have
Emma and
Persuasion to go) this is my favorite novel. Who doesn't love Elizabeth Bennet, who is so witty and stubborn? Or who hasn't fallen in love with Mr. Darcy? Now, you won't catch me reading any spin off novels, mainly because I don't believe in messing with the original. I have come to appreciate the movie adaptations though, and will always picture Colin Firth as Darcy in my head.

I dove from Regency England straight into Victorian England with the first of the Sally Lockhart quartet by Philip Pullman. Anybody who reads this blog knows I loved "His Dark Materials." This series is less fantasy and a lot more mystery. In
The Ruby in the Smoke, Sally Lockhart is a 16 year old orphan who is remarkably beautiful and not classically educated (she can shoot a gun and knows all about finance though.) After her father's mysterious death, she receives an interesting message written in a childlike hand. The message is a warning, but she has to investigate further to really understand it. Sally comes to find out that she is entangled in a mess of deceit and trickery because of a ruby in which she is connected. I loved this book. It's full of Victorian goodness complete with opium, the beginnings of photography, sensation novels, evil women, and stolen goods. These novels aren't anything like "His Dark Materials" but they definitely hold their own. My parents actually introduced me to this series. I'm glad that we can find a few things in common to read.

As you can likely tell by now, I'm staggering this Pullman series with Jane Austen. After
Pride and Prejudice I moved onto
Mansfield Park. This is arguably one of the least favorites amongst her readers. People still like the novel, but it doesn't seem to have the magic of say
Pride and Prejudice and
Sense and Sensibility. I enjoyed the story a lot in this novel. I mean, by today's standards, it's weird to have a protagonist, or anybody for that matter, marry their cousin, but things were different in the early 1800s. I also believe that Edmund and Mary as well as Fanny and Henry would have done well as couples, but for the follies of the Crawfords. I can deal with Fanny more than some people, but she does seem to
cry a bit too much. I would rank
Mansfield in the same position as
Northanger Abbey as my two least Austen favorites, although I still like them both. It's like saying I like cake less than pie, but hey, it's still dessert! Again, I still have two novels and the incomplete stuff to read and will be able to give a better overall evaluation of Jane Austen in next month's reviews.

Just today I was able to finish the second of the "Sally Lockhart" series,
The Shadow in the North. Sally is 22 in this novel and has even gone into business herself as a financial consultant. She has a big Irish Wolfhound, Chaka, and continues relationships with characters from
The Ruby in the Smoke. When a woman client loses all of her investments in a certain company, Sally and her friends begin to investigate and are again, entangled in quite a mess. This book was a bit more heart wrenching than the first mainly because it's so easy to get attached to Philip Pullman's characters. Sally is fierce and independent, which was fairly unheard of at the time, but there had to be some women out there in real life attempting to do the same thing to make it better for the next generation. Sadly, I suspect these real-life women didn't have as great of a support base as Sally does (although he does paint the picture of a general prejudice against women in Sally's position.) Regardless, I'm excited to read the third book
The Tiger in the Well next month.
March books should prove exciting. I have more Austen and Pullman to complete and if I get around to it, some Agatha Christie. Sadly, March is going to be free of American authors, but I seem to prefer the Brits anyways, so it's no loss to me!
3 comments:
Your end of the month reading wrap up was so much better than mine. My blog and image cave had a collective freaky-field-meltdown and I had to build part of my blog back earlier in the week. I wrote a short choppy wrap-up. You are divine (as usual) at the book review thang!
Great reviews! I read the Sally Lockhart books when I was a teen and REALLY liked them. Oh, and COLD COMFORT FARM. That book (and the movie, you MUST see it, is one of my favorites. Look forward to doing the OUAT challenge with you :)
I have seen the movie and it's one of those rare cases where the movie is just as good as the book. Loved it!
Post a Comment