Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Taxi!

This past weekend marked our annual girls trip to Chicago. I go once a year with some girls/women from the family (there are plenty of us) mainly to eat good food and to watch my aunts shop. This year marks both my mom and I's possibly last time as Jon and I will be in New Zealand next February and my mom finds the trip more of a hassle than it's worth, which is true in some senses.

I don't think I can ever recall a time that I have wanted to live in the city. I've always found beauty in the grass and trees, and valued peace and quiet, which is lacking these days even in suburbia. This trip, more so than the past visits, has definitely solidified this feeling of mine. I love visiting cities because they are so full of culture, but I don't ever see myself living in one. Two angry run-ins with cab drivers, and might I add they were completely out of our control, only amplified this urge to get back home this Sunday. Luckily my mom and I got on an early flight and were home by early Sunday afternoon.

There were some positives about the weekend. The weather was much nicer to us this year. We were actually able to walk around in 30 something degree weather. The Chicago area and the Midwest in general is somewhat depressing in the winter and the only word I can use to describe it is "gray." It was still gray, but the warmer than expected weather sure helped our visit. The best part was being with family and hearing about why Hillary Clinton is supposedly the best candidate for president (I somehow wasn't persuaded, but it's interesting to see how people's political beliefs change from region to region) and how my aunt wants to Martha-ize homeless shelters to inspire beauty in people's lives. It was a weekend of ranting for my mom and I as we were able to get some things off our chests and blab to neutral parties. The hotel also served loose tea which proved to be our savior the entire weekend.

Right now I'm attempting to get through the work week and basking in the glory of being able to do the main portion of my job again, acquisitions. I'm going to miss this place when I leave because the overwhelming amount of sarcasm among the employees is both comforting and makes everyday a little bit easier. I can only hope for half as cool colleagues in Colorado.

I should write my February book round-up on Friday. I'm waiting to see if I can get through the second book in Philip Pullmans Sally Lockhart series.

No comments: