Snow and the south do not mix.
Okay, so I can understand the excitement when it snows in Georgia because we just don't see the fluffy white stuff often enough. It is really pretty and such, so don't think I'm a sour puss for letting people experience some joy in their life.
One minor thing I get annoyed with is the frantic rush to the grocery stores to get milk and bread. I realize that it rarely snows in Georgia, but you're likely not going to be stuck at home for days and days without food. Plus, you have to drive to the store, which brings me to my next point.
DON'T DRIVE UNLESS THERE IS A DIRE NEED TO GET FROM POINT A TO B! I closed last night in Gainesville, which actually got a few inches of the white stuff. The drive home on I-985 was scary at some points for the following reasons:
1. We don't have snow plows. In Colorado, all of the main streets and interstates are well maintained (I noticed this in Indiana.) We're not prepared in Georgia, so there's virtually no plowing, which means visibility is much less, and the roads are slicker.
2. People drive as if the roads are dry. Do you drive differently for a rain storm? YES! It's even worse in the snow. Granted, I had to learn a few lessons driving on the back roads in Indiana that luckily didn't end up in injury, but they were still scary. Drive SLOWLY, especially on bridges. I saw 5 different cars pulled over on the side of the road. There was even a flipped truck.
I understand that there are always freak accidents, and some people can't help running off the road, especially when their tires are worn. But some people drive too fast and the next thing they know, they are riding in the forest.
The point of my rant is that it is much less safe to drive on Georgia snowy roads because we aren't prepared to deal with snow. If you live in the south, stay home if you can because we can't handle snow or ice. I know people laugh when Georgia closes schools for a bit of snow, but imagine trying to drive to work without that snow plow working the main roads 24-7?
Okay, so I can understand the excitement when it snows in Georgia because we just don't see the fluffy white stuff often enough. It is really pretty and such, so don't think I'm a sour puss for letting people experience some joy in their life.
One minor thing I get annoyed with is the frantic rush to the grocery stores to get milk and bread. I realize that it rarely snows in Georgia, but you're likely not going to be stuck at home for days and days without food. Plus, you have to drive to the store, which brings me to my next point.
DON'T DRIVE UNLESS THERE IS A DIRE NEED TO GET FROM POINT A TO B! I closed last night in Gainesville, which actually got a few inches of the white stuff. The drive home on I-985 was scary at some points for the following reasons:
1. We don't have snow plows. In Colorado, all of the main streets and interstates are well maintained (I noticed this in Indiana.) We're not prepared in Georgia, so there's virtually no plowing, which means visibility is much less, and the roads are slicker.
2. People drive as if the roads are dry. Do you drive differently for a rain storm? YES! It's even worse in the snow. Granted, I had to learn a few lessons driving on the back roads in Indiana that luckily didn't end up in injury, but they were still scary. Drive SLOWLY, especially on bridges. I saw 5 different cars pulled over on the side of the road. There was even a flipped truck.
I understand that there are always freak accidents, and some people can't help running off the road, especially when their tires are worn. But some people drive too fast and the next thing they know, they are riding in the forest.
The point of my rant is that it is much less safe to drive on Georgia snowy roads because we aren't prepared to deal with snow. If you live in the south, stay home if you can because we can't handle snow or ice. I know people laugh when Georgia closes schools for a bit of snow, but imagine trying to drive to work without that snow plow working the main roads 24-7?
2 comments:
Hello Future Mrs. Geganto!
Hope the planning is going well and isn't too stressful.
I've started a blog and I linked to yours if you want to take a look. http://georgiadawgintexas.blogspot.com
Hope things are good, Wompy!
Yay! Oh how I would LOVE to see that notebook! :)
We must have talked of Beavis, matching old navy clothes, and toothbrush bracelets!
Post a Comment