I am a penguin classics WHORE! I can't resist the paintings on the covers with their black background. The look so beautiful on my shelves. Which leads me to my to be read pile...
Here's my reading list for the year so far (note that I alternate a classic and/or adult book with a YA book:)
Here's my reading list for the year so far (note that I alternate a classic and/or adult book with a YA book:)
1. Little Women (in progress) by Louisa May Alcott
2. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie
3. A Room With A View by E. M. Forester
4. Jane-Emily by Patricia Clapp
5. The Woman in Black by Susan Hill
6. I am the Messenger my Marcus Zusak
7. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (reread)
8. Love, Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli
9. Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons
10. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
11. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (I'm trying to get through them all this year)
12. The Ruby in the Smoke by Philip Pullman
13. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
14. The Shadow in the North by Philip Pullman
15. Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë
16. The Tiger in the Well by Philip Pullman
I anticipate these to keep me company through March or April.
5 comments:
You are the coolest person ever for having Jane-Emily on your list. You will LOVE it, I am sure. I read it over and over again as a child, and I bought a cheapo paperback copy a couple of years ago. Is the Stargirl book the first one, or the sequel?
Additionally, have you read The Wicked Pigeon Ladies in the Garden (YA) by Mary Chase? It's sadly out of print, so it might be hard to come by, but I think you'd enjoy it as well.
I just finished Tess of the D'Urbervilles, myself. Quite lovely.
Yay! Jane-Emily is officially my next book after Forster and I can't wait. The Stargirl book is the sequel. I read the first one in December.
No I haven't read The Wicked Pigeon Ladies in the Garden but it sounds delightful!
Aww... I love Tess of the D'Urbervilles. Sigh... that's the book that made me want to go to Stonehenge and walk in bare feet to feel the lines of power. I also love the scene with the blood on the ceiling (yes, I guess I'm morbid.)
After mentioning it, I successfully checked out The Wicked Pigeon Ladies from my public library system and re-read it. So maybe not TOO hard to find.
I also just read a book called Inkheart, which is going to be a movie very soon. Highly recommended as well, but be warned that it's the first of a trilogy.
Tess was indeed excellent. but so SAD. I guess I was expecting an unrealistic happy ending, right up until the end. Alas.
Alright, I'll have to check out Gwinnett's library and see if they have it.
I saw the preview for Inkheart when I went to see The Golden Compass a few weeks ago. I don't see Brendan Fraser as Mo, but he'll probably be able to pull it off. I read both books last year. I loved Inkheart but had a lot of trouble making it through Inkspell. I'm looking forward to the third book though!
Actually, the story goes that Cornelia Funke pretty much demanded Fraser. The studio, or whoever, wanted somebody more "now", and she held out for him. I'm jealous you got to see the preview on the big screen. I've only gotten to watch it online. :D
Post a Comment