Saturday, January 26, 2008

Good Things

Traci's List of "good things" thanks to Martha Stewart:

1. French Almond Macaroon Recipe: Mine likely taste as good as Martha's, but they're definitely not as pretty. This was my first time using a pastry bag, so the shapes were somewhat off, not to mention that I didn't grind the almonds finely enough, so they look a bit bumpy. I think I'll be able to do much better next time. I'll consider this go-round a moderate success. Actually, I've rarely failed at one of her baking recipes. I just need more practice.

2. Wedding Planner: Martha's wedding planner book is beautiful and has helped educate me, the reluctant bride (not that I'm reluctant to be a bride, but I was scared to plan a wedding) on all aspects of the big day. I chose her wedding planner over others because after years of reading her magazines and baking and cooking with her recipes, it felt like finding a familiar face in a crowd of people I didn't know. It has helped me pick flowers, a cake, a dress, and has revealed all of the little things that need to be done before October 18th.

3. Lowe's Paint Samples: Martha has a line of colors at that blue and white home improvement store, that are simply beautiful. Jon and I have exclusively used her colors so far in painting our house in Colorado, and intend to use more when we paint the master suite in April.

I can't help but admire Martha (and her staff who likely come up with a good portion "her" ideas these days.) She came back from her jail sentence even more successful than any of us could have hoped for. She can laugh at herself (she even had Ana Gasteyer--anybody remember the topless Christmas special???-- on her show a few years ago.) My aunts are obsessed with her. They even went to New York in 2006 for some big Martha fan weekend. My Aunt Gink (it's a nickname) couldn't even speak when she shook Martha's hand, and my Aunt Jean told Martha that she loved her. My mom isn't her biggest fan (my aunts suspect that she resents Martha) but it still doesn't stop her from subscribing to her main magazine. I'm likely somewhere in between. Not obsessed, but thankful to her for making my baking and home life a bit brighter. Every time I watch her make something, it is indeed a "good thing."

1 comment:

Andrew said...

You bought a planner? Yikes. I guess it's too late to elope now.