Friday, September 28, 2007

Book Review: The Fall of the House of Usher and Other Writings


Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Start Date: September 19th
Finish Date: September 28th

This review is going to be informal. I'm really glad that I gave Poe a second chance. I read many of his short stories and poems in middle and high school, but I didn't really appreciate them much until now.

Anyways, I want to cover a good portion of the stories I read (I'm going to leave the poems out of this review) by naming story superlatives.

Overall Favorite: "The Masque of the Red Death"

This is one Poe short story that I have always liked. I love the colorful description of the party rooms. The cover of this book edition was painted for this story and you can see the shrouded figure of the Red Death, the ebony clock, and all of the dead people strewn about on the floor. Fantastic visual.

Most Psychological: "William Wilson"

Personally, I wouldn't want to be followed around all life by... me. After all, you are your own best competitor as well as your own best critic.

Biggest Gore Factor: "The Black Cat"

Never become an alcoholic. Also, never mess with your pets folks in an alcoholic rage. They will come back to haunt you after you harm/kill them, and eat your spouse's corpse (whom you also killed) after you wall him/her up to cover your crime. This story also affirms the fact that I am a dog person.

Most Surprising: "The Gold Bug"

I seriously thought that the narrator's friend was going crazy after he was bit by the heavy gold bug found on Sullivan's Island, South Carolina. I was surprised to find out that the bug led him to buried pirate treasure, not insanity. It was refreshing to see happy endings in some of the stories, this one included.

Most Suspenseful: "The Pit and the Pendulum"

I forgot how much I liked this story in high school. I would never want to be in the narrator's position. The Spanish Inquisition is NOT one of those areas of history that I would like to live! Plus, contemplating jumping into that pit must have been awful, not to mention being bound to a table with a bunch of rats stealing your food while a razor sharp pendulum slowly descends to cut you into pieces.

Best Detective Story: "The Murders on the Rue Morgue" and "The Purloined Letter"

Although Monsieur Dupin is almost too smart and too good to be true, I enjoyed these reads and learning how all of the Parisian crimes were solved.

Most Creepy: "The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar"

Maybe it's my fear of corpses, but having a dead person in a trance speak absolutely freaks me out. Don't even get me started about when they wake him up...

Overall, I really got into all of the stories. Poe has quite an imagination. As a child, I had a very vivid imagination which has now evolved into serious over thinking as an adult. I feel that Poe must have been the same way, only he was able to retain his imagination as an over thinker. His stories are perfect reads for people who spend a lot of time thinking, and not so much time talking. Although the talkers will like his stories as well, because they're great to relate to others. :)

My next read to complete Peril I is Dracula. Amanda and I plan on reading this at the same time, so I have to wait until Monday to start it. Hopefully, I can finish Orwell's 1984 over the next couple of days as it has remained 2/3 finished since the end of August.

3 comments:

Eva said...

What a fun way to review a collection of short stories! I might have to borrow this idea. :)

Debi said...

Loved this review! Clever and informative. I've got some Poe coming up shortly...looking forward to it more than ever after your review!

TronG said...

Eva, borrow all you want!

Debi, I can't wait to read your review and have fun with Poe!