Author: Bram Stoker
Illustrator: Jae Lee
Date Originally Published: 1897
Start Date: October 1st
Finish Date: October 6th
I read this novel to complete peril number 1 in the R.I.P Challenge. Up to this point, I was a Dracula virgin. I haven't even seen the Coppola or Bela Lugosi versions of the movie, because I don't watch scary movies, try as my boyfriend might to get me to watch them. I have read The Historian, though, and promised myself to try out Dracula because of my love for the former book. Well, I must say, I wasn't disappointed with the latter either.
Dracula began with Jonathan Harker's journey to Count Dracula's castle near the Carpathian Mountains, to take care of some real estate papers, as the Count had decided to purchase property in England. I love reading about this area of the world, mainly because a good chunk of my heritage descends from Eastern Europe. I've always wanted to visit the area, and even the fictional descriptions sound incredibly beautiful. Harker arrived at the castle during the night and found crazy wolves running around and a creepy, though elegant man awaiting his arrival. His rooms were nice but he was not allowed to explore the castle. He also foound that the count never ate and did not cast a shadow. He soon got the feeling that he was being held against his will at the place and started to witness crazy events like the count crawling on walls like a bug and three women who were beautiful, but liked to suck blood out of children that the count brought to them. Jonathan's imprisonment to me was, by far, the scariest part of the book.
Jonathan somehow escaped the castle. Meanwhile, a cargo ship arrived in England with no crew excepting a dead man and a "dog" who jumped ship when pulling into the dock. The real story began to weave here as Mina, Jonathan's fiancé (eventual wife) began to notice strange happenings with her friend, Lucy, as she sleepwalked at night. This brought in Drs. John Seward and Abraham Van Helsing, as well as Lucy's husband to be, Arthur Holmwood, and American Quincey Morris. These men along with Jonathan and Mina set out on a horrifying voyage to eradicate Dracula for good.
My favorite character was Renfield. I can't even imagine meeting a chap like him in real life. His love for consuming life (spiders, flies, etc.) definitely creeped me out and I found myself oddly sympathizing with him often in the book, especially when he begged for his release from the asylum. He was fascinating.
I loved the story. It had the perfect dark, Gothic feel. The diary entries, newspaper articles, and letters acted as a great medium for storytelling and I felt like I got to know most of the characters well. Stoker's writing style is absolutely beautiful. While reading the book, I didn't feel like I was hindered by some sophisticated vocabulary of the late 1800s. I was also surprised by how much the plot differed from what I thought I knew of the story.
I particularly loved this version for the illustrations. Jae Lee's illustration style was definitely made for this novel. His depictions of Dracula definitely had that whole Nosferatu thing going on, the women are sexy even though they don blood stained mouths, and the settings and backgrounds were dark and misty.
Overall, I loved this book. It will definitely be a re-read for me, perhaps each fall. Okay, so maybe I'll have to watch the Coppola movie. With my boyfriend. In daylight.
I'm going to continue with the R.I.P. Challenge, even though I've technically completed my peril requirements. I going to veer away from the challenge for my next book (Seeing Redd), but will return to Northanger Abbey.
Dracula began with Jonathan Harker's journey to Count Dracula's castle near the Carpathian Mountains, to take care of some real estate papers, as the Count had decided to purchase property in England. I love reading about this area of the world, mainly because a good chunk of my heritage descends from Eastern Europe. I've always wanted to visit the area, and even the fictional descriptions sound incredibly beautiful. Harker arrived at the castle during the night and found crazy wolves running around and a creepy, though elegant man awaiting his arrival. His rooms were nice but he was not allowed to explore the castle. He also foound that the count never ate and did not cast a shadow. He soon got the feeling that he was being held against his will at the place and started to witness crazy events like the count crawling on walls like a bug and three women who were beautiful, but liked to suck blood out of children that the count brought to them. Jonathan's imprisonment to me was, by far, the scariest part of the book.
Jonathan somehow escaped the castle. Meanwhile, a cargo ship arrived in England with no crew excepting a dead man and a "dog" who jumped ship when pulling into the dock. The real story began to weave here as Mina, Jonathan's fiancé (eventual wife) began to notice strange happenings with her friend, Lucy, as she sleepwalked at night. This brought in Drs. John Seward and Abraham Van Helsing, as well as Lucy's husband to be, Arthur Holmwood, and American Quincey Morris. These men along with Jonathan and Mina set out on a horrifying voyage to eradicate Dracula for good.
My favorite character was Renfield. I can't even imagine meeting a chap like him in real life. His love for consuming life (spiders, flies, etc.) definitely creeped me out and I found myself oddly sympathizing with him often in the book, especially when he begged for his release from the asylum. He was fascinating.
I loved the story. It had the perfect dark, Gothic feel. The diary entries, newspaper articles, and letters acted as a great medium for storytelling and I felt like I got to know most of the characters well. Stoker's writing style is absolutely beautiful. While reading the book, I didn't feel like I was hindered by some sophisticated vocabulary of the late 1800s. I was also surprised by how much the plot differed from what I thought I knew of the story.
I particularly loved this version for the illustrations. Jae Lee's illustration style was definitely made for this novel. His depictions of Dracula definitely had that whole Nosferatu thing going on, the women are sexy even though they don blood stained mouths, and the settings and backgrounds were dark and misty.
Overall, I loved this book. It will definitely be a re-read for me, perhaps each fall. Okay, so maybe I'll have to watch the Coppola movie. With my boyfriend. In daylight.
I'm going to continue with the R.I.P. Challenge, even though I've technically completed my peril requirements. I going to veer away from the challenge for my next book (Seeing Redd), but will return to Northanger Abbey.
5 comments:
I'm glad you enjoyed Dracula. This past fall was my first with dracula as well. I still haven't seen the movies, and I'm not in any particular rush to either. I loved the book, loved it. But I like using my imagination :)
I am planning on reading Seeing Redd soon too.
I liked this book also. It would have been interesting to read the illustrated version. And I think "The Historian" was wonderful. Thanks for your review.
Awesome that you liked Dracula. It's long been a favorite: I read it in high school prior to the release of the Francis Ford Coppola film. The film disappointed - the novel did not. I'm always surprised that a purely epistolary novel manages to be exciting. Maybe I'll re-read it someday soon...
I have this book as long as I remember but I have not readit fully. I will do so for thisperil.
Movies, I have not watched any either!
I recently read this too and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Will have to keep an eye out for the illustrated copy. I love the Coppola film even though it adds in a whole different romantic dimension.
Post a Comment