Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Book Review: Blood and Chocolate


Author: Annette Curtis Klause
Year Published: 1997
Start Date: September 15th
Finish Date: September 18th

I haven't read much on loups-garoux or werewolves as they are commonly known in English, excepting Professor Lupin and Jacob in the Twilight series. Being a huge YA literature fan, Blood and Chocolate leaves me slightly disappointed.

I don't know much about werewolves, but I feel a bit more well rounded, and not so vampire focused (I LOVE vampires), for once by completing this novel. I really enjoyed the wolfish aspects of the story. Vivian is a 15-16 year old werewolf who moves from West Virginia to the Maryland suburbs when a fire destroys her pack's inn. This fire also takes her father, the pack king's life. While living in the suburbs, the pack struggles to both not reveal their animal forms to the normal word, as well as not kill humans. This proves to be difficult in such a concentrated area pf people, and Vivian finds herself in a lot of trouble and gets wrapped up in a lot of misunderstandings. I rather enjoyed this aspect of the novel and Klause's descriptions of the pleasure of wolf transformation and running through the woods on full moon, as well as the brutal animal instincts that go along with being a werewolf.

While I enjoyed the wolf aspects, I loathed the love stories in this book. Vivian finds herself attracted to a human boy (who is a complete tool) and uses her convenient beauty and powers of seduction to lure this guy into a tangled web. Also, after fighting at a ritual (the males were determining a new pack leader after the death of Vivian's father) ceremony with other female wolves (protecting her mother), Vivian finds herself head female and under the watchful eyes of the new pack leader, Gabriel (she's now the Queen to his King). Perhaps the love aspects of this novel are supposed to represent the mind of a 16 year old and the passion of the animal, but I just found it over the top. I'm not exactly sure if 13 year olds (the reading level on Amazon says 9-12, yikes!) should be reading about implied rough sex. They don't need to infer that all 16 year olds dress provocatively to seduce others (so maybe they should too???). I can see, however, how high school girls would eat this book up. Blood and Chocolate is like a toned down romance novel with cool gore and fantasy elements.

I found myself just as annoyed with Vivian (at certain times) as I was with Bella (Twilight series) and Gemma (A Great and Terrible Beauty trilogy). This is something that I come to expect from YA novels, and I don't mind it normally. The story in Blood and Chocolate, though, wasn't as strong nor as convincing as the latter two novels, which made my annoyance with Vivian a bit stronger, even though she was essentially less dense and more self-assured than both Gemma and Bella combined. I also have to take into account when the book was written. YA was a relatively new genre in 1997 and not nearly as popular then as it is now (the Printz award was not established until 2000). Therefore, not too many people were writing novels aimed specifically at teens in 1997. There are obviously fantastic exceptions though, like the His Dark Materials trilogy, but I digress.

Overall, I'm glad that I checked out this book from the public library as opposed to purchasing it. The book was definitely a page turner, and I can see how it appeals to teens, but it's definitely not my favorite. I doubt that I will purchase it for our growing teen collection over here at the university either, as I don't see many teachers using it in their curricula.

Now, if I could just find a good zombie novel, I wouldn't feel so bad about being partial to vampires.

Onward to Poe...

2 comments:

Court said...

A lot of people have been reading this book lately, and I have to say that I'm happy that your review is pointing out that there are perhaps some things in this book that aren't as wonderful as everyone does say. Just so when I do get around to reading it, I don't expect it to be this fabulous piece of fiction and am disappointed. If that makes sense.

Thanks for the great review. :)

TronG said...

It makes sense Court. I do hope you enjoy reading it though!