Saturday, September 15, 2007

Book Review: The Woman in White


Author: Wilkie Collins
Year Published: 1860
Start Date: September 1st
Finish Date: September 15th

The Woman in White has become a new favorite of mine. True to its sensationalist nature, the novel revolves around a dark secret harbored by select evil characters. Unfortunately (but it wouldn't be a story without this), the genuinely good characters become entangled with the sinister ones who guard the secret.

The story opens with the protagonist, Walter Hartwright, as he takes on a job as a drawing instructor for two sisters in Limmeridge House (Cumberland). Walking back to London after visiting with his mother and sister on the night before his departure, he encounters a mysterious and distressed woman dressed all in white who needs help with finding her way to London. In transit, she warns Walter against an unnamed Baronet who my or may not show up later in the novel. After she is on her way, Walter overhears men claiming that a woman has recently escaped the asylum. The story further develops once he arrives at Limmeridge House, and the mystery of the woman in white is revealed.

While the story itself is very interesting, I found myself concentrating a lot on the characters of the book, especially the not so good ones. While upon first glance Sir Percival Glyde appears to be most evil person in the novel, I found the Italian Count Fosco to be the most disturbing. His corpulent figure, piercing eyes, and his suave, genial exterior personality frightened me. While I was able to pinpoint his evil from the get go, (having read multiple passages on Professor Umbridge and having dealt with a good bit of passive-aggressiveness in my lifetime) I had a lot of difficulty predicting his personal objectives until they were revealed to me near the end of the book. His weird fascination and concern with Marian, whom I truly liked despite her representing Wilkie's obvious misogynistic feelings, also chilled me to the bone.

What I really enjoyed about this novel was that it was so easy to read. I would highly recommend this book for people who are reluctant to read the classics. I can totally see how The Moonstone (well if it is anything like The Woman in White, as it is currently on my TBR pile) and The Woman and White were so popular in their days. The pace of the novel was comfortable for me. I neither felt like I was given too many details to process before the next event occurred, nor did I feel the plot was too predictable, and therefore boring. Also, having multiple narrators helped me get a good sense of the characters and helped focus on time as a key element in the plot. If I had been reading this in it's true form back in 1860-1861, I would have been anxiously awaiting each new issue of All the Year Round.

6 comments:

Court said...

Great review. :) I've always been meaning to read this book, but just haven't gotten around to it. Maybe some time in the future....

jenclair said...

Love The Woman in White and feel much as you do about Count Fosco. Sir Percival was too shallow to be as frightening as the count.

Framed said...

I loved "The Moonstone" and have this book down for Carl's challenge. It will so fun to read Wilkie again.

Nikki in Niagara said...

Great review! I read Moonstone ages ago and should get around to this one soon, sounds great.

TronG said...

I'll be reading The Moonstone at some point this fall as well. Glad to know you all like it!

Samantha said...

So, I just read this, and found it quite excellent, although it has left me desperately desiring something shallow and easy to read. :) So I'm going to read Milan Kundera. hahahaha ha