Sad, but true... my fuzzy pink elephant key chain (picture to come later) is more popular than me at work. My friend Paige gave a few of us different animal key chains for Valentines Day and I decided to separate my work keys from my car/home keys. I figured that a pink elephant would never allow me to lose/forget my work keys. Now he has a name (Rufus), a questionable sexuality, and romps around with various Harry Potter, Chronicles of Narnia, Nancy Pearl, and Scooby Doo toys around the technical services area (a lot of the employees here, myself included, have toys in their offices) and has been the brunt of many, um, jokes. At least we keep ourselves entertained here with more than work, policy, and meetings.
I've also been joking (with Amanda) a lot about Henry VIII lately. If you know me, you know that I like Tudor history. After reading Marie Antoinette: the journey in the fall, I fell in love with Antonia Fraser's style of writing. I decided on checking out The Six Wives of Henry VIII for my lunch reading here at work. I've been reading it since the beginning of the semester and I'm still not even half way through it. Apparently there's also a new TV show on Showtime called The Tudors. The guy who plays Henry VIII is really, I mean REALLY hot. For the standards of the time, young Henry VIII WAS "attractive" but he was much stockier (I have seen the armor from his youth) than the guy who plays him on TV. He was such a piece of work. It amazes me how passionate he was (quick to love and quick to hate).
Talk of strumpets and trumpets naturally led to tea talk (and consequential creation of Victorian era tea shop mystery novel names like "Sconed to Death"). Speaking of scones and Victorian tea shop mysteries, I have finally finished Jane Eyre. I already miss reading it and can't wait until I can begin a re-read. I fell in love (not like that) with the character of Jane, mainly because she sticks up for herself and is strong-willed. The male characters leave much to be desired in this book, but most men aren't ideal anyways (nor women). Having perfect men in the novel would have only made it boring and perhaps obsolete by now. There's Mr. Rochester who is WAY too passionate (kind of like Henry VIII) and St. John, who can't take no for an answer and is just a cold and jerky. The lunatic wife from the West Indies was a nice addition, as I like to be spooked in fiction novels, and you don't really understand what's going on with her until the latter half of the novel. Overall, Jane is the one who kept me reading and loving the book. It was a very good re-introduction to the classics.
Can somebody tell me the difference between "dork" and "nerd" or am I just both?
I'm off to Colorado tonight to see my equally, if not more nerdy boyfriend. I shall update when I get back!
3 comments:
This is my favorite of your blog posts. It is filled with your personality - funny and smart!
I think that Dorks are socially awkward folks who trip over things and are goofy -- think Napoleon Dynomite. Nerds I think of as bookish and smart and more inclined to spend time alone. Geeks are Star Trek fans, middle-earth costume wearers, and computer humpers.
Hope that helps.
Take the test!
Speaking of the Tudors ... I bought you a book at the giant book sale on the square today. First I looked at kids books but they all looked a bit shabby. I left the kids table disappointed, but when I browsed the fiction section I found a book that I think you will like. It is a 1957 book called Anne Boleyn: A Novel by Evelyn Anthony. It is waiting her for you when you get back!
And yes. Major bookgasms were had at the book sale!
Post a Comment