Wednesday, March 14, 2007

That's right folks, I'm in LOVE...

... with a metal dinosaur





... no wait, with Colorado!

My mom always says that when she travels to that area of the country, she feels like she's going home. She's from Nebraska, but traveled/lived in Colorado and surrounding states during summers, as my grandfather was a biology teacher/eventual professor. The west is an ideal place for summer science camps. I traveled in this area as a young child, but I have never lived out west. Whenever I visit though, I feel like I'm going home, much like my mom.

Jon lives in Ft. Collins, which is north of Denver. It is super accessible to many cool places. This visit, along with Jon's awesome best friend Ashley, we visited Rocky Mountain National Park (again), and drove thorough a minor snow storm to get to Vedauwoo Recreation area in Medicine Bow National Forrest, Wyoming. The park was even better this time than in February, mainly because everything is thawing out. We hiked around a frozen lake, saw more elk, climbed into the alluvial fan, and saw many scenic outlooks. Jon and I plan on hiking (an easy trail for my sake) next month in the park. I am luckily now well equipped now that I have a brand new pair of hiking shoes. I've never been to Vedauwoo in the winter before. Driving into the park was impossible, but we managed to walk over the snow drifts that were taller than us to enter. After a lot of memory jogging, I was finally able to find the picnic table where my mother celebrated her 9th birthday (the one under the huge rock up there). If you ever get the chance to travel through southern Wyoming, go to Vedauwoo. It will change your mind about Wyoming forever.

Sadly, Ashley had to leave us on Sunday (after a very nice visit with some puppies). On Monday, Jon and I ventured to a junk-turned-art farm called Swetsville Zoo in Ft. Collins. If you have facebook, see all of my pictures. The art is amazing, and I especially enjoyed getting fresh with a metal dinosaur/hungarian horntail. I also had fun meeting another of Jon's friends, Michael. I'm excited about getting to know him better as well as meeting his fiancé eventually.

I love being in a place where there is so much to see, so close. I'm not much of a bar/club person, so this outdoors stuff is quickly becoming an obsession of mine (don't worry, I'm too big of a wimp to take it too far). It's fair to say that I've officially fallen in love with Colorado though. It's no longer that place where I hiked a mountain at the age of 8. It's now another place to call home.

A year ago, heck six months ago, I would have never suspected that my life would be so different. On the surface it's the same, but my mentality is completely different. I feel truly blessed to be living my life.

On a bookish note, don't ever read cheesy teeny-bopper books about a girl who practices magic to solve murder and obsession in a prep school setting. I'm a huge YA fan and this was just rough.


2 comments:

Sus said...

Break in new hiking shoes by exploring Atlanta with me???

Which YA w. girl and magic and prep school. I just started listening to Chasing Vermeer, so far I'm enjoying it...

Amanda Roper said...

yeah right.... your love of mountain landscapes pulls you to Colorado.....

;)