Monday, February 26, 2007

Something Smells Fishy!

So I've been trying to write an entry for about 5 days now. I'd start and realize that I was revealing too much by going off on a tangent or talking about stupid boring things (some of you might say, "so what's new Traci"). Gosh darnit I'm going to write a post and you're going to like it, even if it's boring.

-So what's been going on in the life of Traci?

I've been adjusting to Lent life. I'm catholic, so I'm doing my best to not eat meat on Fridays (this is the tie-in to my title). I have been successful thus far (one week) and have managed to consume both a tuna fish sandwich and a McDonald's Filet o'Fish (God Bless). Yay Jesus!

I think my family (well, my parents and I) will be switching churches as well. We've been with good ol' Saint John Neuman since I was born, but never attend anymore, as my parents grew weary of the church when I was younger. I think they've found a place (St. Oliver's) they like now and are giving it a trial run, in hopes of making the switch. Jon's parents happen to go there as well, and I might have to start making appearances at the 8am mass to chaperon the parents.

-So what's going to happen in the life of Traci?

This weekend I will be making an appearance at the WGI Atlanta regional. My best friend and co-UGA-captain from college, Krista, will come with. I'm excited to see the few friends I have left in the activity perform and/or teach and am hoping to avoid drama, which shouldn't be difficult, but I wouldn't put it past color guard (I will be armed with a book--the ultimate escape). I'm mainly excited to hang out with Krista though, because that doesn't happen too often anymore because of schedules.

Next week is Brenau's spring break! Luckily, the president is giving faculty 2 days off, so I'll be getting on a plane once again to Colorado. Ashley K. from high school will also be visiting, and I'll get to meet his new roommate (his best friend who also went to high school with all of us) Mike. I'm happy to meet/reacquaint with his friends and I look forward to some more time in Rocky Mountain National Park. We're also planning on venturing into WYOMING (my favorite state) and will try to visit Vedauwoo, one of my favorite places in America. My mom had her 9th birthday party there at a picnic table under this gigantic rock. Every time we've visited the park since, we had take a picture there. I hope hope hope it isn't too snowy to get to that point in the park to take yet another picture.

-Moving on.

I've watched three movies over the course of the day. Beauty Academy of Kabul is an amazing documentary about women in Afghanistan. I highly recommend it, as I knew nothing of the situation. I watched it because Brenau is hosting an event with a panel to discuss the documentary next month. I also watched An Inconvenient Truth (the Al Gore documentary that just won an Oscar). While I'm not sure how much I buy global warming, I was very impressed by his research and dedication to what he calls the "climate crisis." It would have been much better without flashbacks of the 2000 election though. I hope that we get candidates for 2008 who have more genuine concern for the environment (like Gore), as it has been overwhelmingly neglected over the past 7 years. Moving on from the political ambiguity (PLEASE don't comment with a lecture on global warming), I watched Persuasion, an adaptation of the Jane Austen novel. Once I understood a. what they were saying and b. what was going on in the story (I have never read the novel), I really enjoyed it. I like the fact that the protagonist wasn't a ravishing beauty and it was a cute love story, although not as worthy as Pride and Prejudice.

Well that about wraps up current events, and for that matter February. I won't place any conclusions on the month as it is not officially over, but I have enjoyed it thus far for the first time in years. Hope all is well!

3 comments:

Amanda Roper said...

yummy...Fish.

yummy...books.

yummy...movies.

Brett said...

Listen... let me tell you something about global warming!

Not really. I'm glad things are going well for you.

Samantha said...

Oh, dude. Persuasion, being the last of Austen's novels, is possibly the best. I wrote a paper about how the heroine is Austen's most "fully formed," and how all of the ones leading up to her were prototypes. Was it the version w/Ciaran Hinds??

(Huge Austen nerd, sorry!)