Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Breaks and Books

Here I sit at home on a Wednesday. I worked my 16 hour week (which oddly seemed much longer than the normal 40 hour week) and now I'm off until next Tuesday. I'm looking forward to the break, as some of my friends are home. Thanksgiving is my least favorite holiday, but I'm glad to not have to drive 4 hours this year to eat a good meal (although I do miss the gathering with my extended family). Plus it's finally Christmas time.

I've been doing an unnatural amount of reading lately. I finally finished The Historian. It was amazing and I now know other people reading the book as well. If you like Dracula or European History in general, I would highly recommend it. It was interesting to me, as a good portion of my heritage is Eastern European. I will definitely have to re-read the book in a few months time, as I feel like I didn't fully comprehend certain parts in my haste to find out what happened to all of the characters. It's way better than the Davinci Code, and it frankly bothers me that anybody has ever called it the "Dracula Code". No predictable Dan Brown formulas here!

Now, I'm into The Thirteenth Tale, by Diane Setterfield (my second bestseller, oh my). The book is nothing like I thought it was going to be... I was expecting some bookish women talking about books (which is fine with me). She has created this super complicated and thrilling tale about a famous fictitious author's past. I've honestly never read anything like it, and can't wait to get to the end.

My mom and I both agreed on the greatness of The Thirteenth Tale and The Historian, which is rare, considering that her favorite author is Anne Perry (a murder mystery novelist, who actually has an interesting life... ever seen Heavenly Creatures?) and I prefer books that have bibliographies and have well, a bit less popular value (i.e. I don't read Tom Clancy or John Grisham). Needless to say, we rarely agree on what makes a good book. In fact, these two books join the ranks of the Harry Potter Series and A Wrinkle in Time. I'm happy that we could double our list.

My circulation list at Brenau shows that I have 12 books checked out (4 are not mine). In addition to some personal copies, I have 11 thick books to read between now and January 3rd... can I do this?

I can't believe that I've spent minutes admitting how much of a nerd I am....

1 comment:

Amanda Roper said...

You're not a nerd!!! Of course, this is coming from someone who is probably considered a nerd. I didn't get as much reading done as I had hoped over the break. We must must must discuss the 13th Tale on Tuesday!