So I have known one of my best friends, Susan, since the sixth grade. It was obvious even back then, being the military brat she is, that she was destined for great things. We endured high school math, history, english and broadcasting together. She covered for my first boyfriend and I when we had a house double date and he and I went to "get a soda" in the garage. She has always done well in school and is one of the most confident, caring people I know. We went to college together and managed to remain friends when she spent a year abroad and I was lost in color guard land. Last year we both moved to the midwest for graduate school...she in Chicago at the prestigious University of Chicago, and I at the beautiful IU. Although we never saw each other, we still managed communication.
She started working in D.C. and has dropped off the face of the earth. None of the old group can get in touch with her. It's obviously some covert training program, but I am worried nontheless. I miss my friend. I should have tagged her. I am hoping she resurfaces next year by the time I will potentially move there.
In other less Dan-Brown-worthy news, it's raining a lot here in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina...proving that women can be bitches from time to time. My work schedule takes up every day of the week with the exception of Sundays. My first classes are tomorrow. I have already signed up for my client search project in online information retrieval. I will be working for a history prof. on compiling a bibliography of primary and secondary resources of oustiders' accounts of the French revolution. Should be difficult, but it will be so much better than sitting in a classroom drowning in theory.
1 comment:
Trust me. Those people don't drop off the face of the earth. They have the face of the earth dropped on them. Work is intense. They have barely time to think about anything but what's on their desk.
Post a Comment