So, most women experience this revelation as they get older. I'm not sure why it's always such a shock to me that I'm just like my mom. I have people tell me often that we're alike in many ways, but it always surprises me because we we're more likely to argue than my dad and I. Lately though, our similarities have been very apparent and I figured it would be a good topic to blog about. So I'll post our random, and what I think are quirky, similarities at various points in the future.
So what is the subject of our first similarity? SALES which lead to HOARDING
So I'm shopping in the grocery store this evening and I suddenly have four pounds of unsalted butter in my cart. Now, I already have two pounds at home, and I will need more butter over the next month because (again continuing my mom's tradition) I will be making cookie trays and will need the butter. The butter was on sale though for about half of what is normally charged and I was in a state of absolute GLEE over it. I know I would have done the same thing though if I didn't need the butter.
I remember "cataloging"/taking inventory (I should have known I would become a librarian) of my mom's pantry growing up and constantly complaining that she had, for example, 5 bottles of ketchup (and didn't even realize she had that many.) She would tell me that she got the items on sale and would store them away for later use.
Perusing my own pantry and seeing the multiple cans of crushed and diced tomatoes (I use them a lot) and canned pumpkin, all purchased on sale, I realize that I am very much like her and should slap myself on the wrist for ever criticizing her purchasing habits.
2 comments:
I do the same thing! Just wait until you have kids. I sound like a voice-recorder of my mom when I'm fussing at Hope and I say alll the things I swore I never would!
You know what's hilarious? I notice how much I'm like your mom too! HAHAHAHA. Seriously though, I took my mom, my Aunt Mary Ann, and my Aunt Laura's bad habits. So I hord dish towels, baking utensils, and dishes. It's horrible.
Post a Comment