So, I've decided to blog about my Christmas baking escapades. Every year, my mom spreads the Christmas joy by baking cookies and giving them away. I plan on doing the same, only on a much smaller scale (I guess there is a bonus to not knowing many people here in Colorado.)
Since my work schedule is hectic, I had to begin somewhat early (well relatively not so because my mom started like 3 weeks ago) with cookies that would store well. I hope to have made about 10 to 15 different kinds by the time I start giving away plates.
So, where did I start?
I think it would be only fair to my husband to start with his favorite cookie, the Mexican Wedding Cookie (aka Mexican Wedding Cake, Italian Wedding Cookie, and Russian Tea Cakes.) Most have likely tried one of these before. It's basically shortbread with ground nuts rolled and baked into a ball, then rolled in powdered sugar. I'm not fond of them because I don't fancy pecans but Jon can down many of these in one sitting.
I used my favorite lady's recipe and I think they turned out well. Here is a picture of the small tin I allowed for Jon (some are already missing.) If you make these, you can freeze them before you roll them in powdered sugar. Bring them out when ready to serve and roll away (the cookies in the picture were rolled once, but I suggest twice to make them look nicer.)
Today I made one of my favorite Christmas cookies, spritz (also called pressed cookies.) These are the cookies that you make with a cookie press and they come in various shapes. I can remember these being made for Christmas since I was very young. I also remember my mom getting really angry with the cookie press, so much that I have been making them for her for the past couple of years. The picture below shows the snowmen holding trees (yes, they're snowmen, not something dirty) and my family's traditional pink flowers.
Anyways, these turned out nice as well, so I'm very slowly on my way to having enough varieties to make a proper cookie plate.
More to come...
2 comments:
I have to go pick up my cookies from Sue this week. I think I'll do that today! Also, you've been married a whole month and it's still strange to hear you refer to Jon as your husband. . . . .
I need to do a massive baking. I'm blocking out Sunday the 14th to do blitz baking! I have a crappy oven and a small stretch of counter, but it will have to do.
BTW -- I'm making you and Jon something for Christmas, but it isn't quite done yet. It might have to be a Merry New Year's gift so that I can finish it over break.
I promise it is nothing dirty. ;-)
Post a Comment