Thursday, September 04, 2008

August Books

I've somewhat given up on reading more than 3 books per month with my new life in Colorado. It's a sad, but true revelation and I should be happy that I'm even reading 3 at this point. I've already reviewed one book, but here is a recap of the others.

After Wuthering Heights, it was time to pick up the last in the Twilight Saga (have I mentioned that I think it's stupid that they call the series a saga???) Breaking Dawn. I've kind of stuck with the series, despite being constantly annoyed with the main character. I do love my vampires though and the imagery of the Northwest is always enticing. Anyways, I won't detail any of the plot because it would really give everything away. I will say that the book has A LOT to take in, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that Bella wasn't so whiny and desperate as she usually has been in the previous three books (granted, I realize that teenagers are this way, but it still doesn't mean that I can't be annoyed with her off and on.) I think the series was tied up nicely though and I'm glad that she decided to stop at 4 books. It's best to end well while you're still ahead I suppose.



I've been meaning to re-read some Madeleine L'Engle since she sadly passed away last year. I decided to read the Austin Family series because they always make me feel good and remind me of my childhood. Meet the Austins is a detailed account of the lives of the Austin family told by one of the daughters, Vicky. I think Vicky is one of my favorite characters in literature. She's sweet, but tempered and has many faults. Things get crazy for her family when a friend dies in a plane crash and the co-piolot's daughter is left without a home. The spoiled girl, Maggy, has trouble adjusting to her new temporary home, but eventually settles and dreams of a more permanent situation away from her rich, but uncaring biological family. The plot in these stories isn't the most exciting ever, but sometimes I need something simple and sweet. It was perfect for me as I started my new job.

I'm almost finished with Frankenstein, which I am really enjoying, and then it's on to try House of Leaves if I can stand the scariness!



No comments: