Monday, August 13, 2007

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination

-John Lennon

Why is it that vacations always go by so fast? My 10 day vacation went by like a blur and now I'm back to work work work. School starts up next week (I think) and suddenly I realize that I've been at Brenau for a year this coming Wednesday. Wow. I'm just thankful that the faculty retreat won't be half as overwhelming as it was last year. Although a day at Lake Lanier trying to be professional is going to be pretty difficult, considering the 100+ degree heat currently taking over Georgia. WHY?? I hate winter, but I'm psyched about fall clothes, as they are my favorite. It can't come soon enough. Plus, the cold is such good reading weather (I can finally read Dracula).

My vacation was fun. I spent part of it in Keystone, Colorado for Jon's family reunion. I spent a good portion of it being shy around his family, but it was easier to communicate with them once card games were involved. I'm a card and board game fanatic. I also went white water rafting for the first time. We went on an intermediate course, but in level 4 rapids (or whatever you call it) because the season is about to end. Our guide tipped us over once going down a waterfall. Once I was able to breathe from the shock of hitting 40 degree water and having said water fill up my nose and mouth, I had a lot of fun and was a bit less nervous about never having rafted before. I also got on a bike for the first time in something like 15 years (I was awful for about half of the ride) and rode down the continental divide area in Vail, in the freezing rain.

The second half was spent in the Black Hills in South Dakota. This was my second time to the area (Badlands, Custer State Park area) but my first time in both Wind Cave and Jewel Cave. Jon and I had a lot of fun everywhere we went, and even got to ride a gigantic jakalope at Wall Drug. There is something very calming about the prairie and I think summer is the best time to visit the area... especially to see the prairie dogs!

Now I'm attempting to get back to normal. Indeed, it leaves a lot to the imagination...

2 comments:

Sus said...

Did you meet alot of Will's relatives as well as Jon's?

I loved visiting South Dakota...just had to tolerate driving through most of the state to get to the "good stuff" ;)
Did you see Devil's Tower in Wyoming? If not, add it to your list, esp w. outdoorsy Jon with you..you guys would love to climb part of it.
Sus

Amanda Roper said...

okay you are certainly a crunchy-granola chic now...