Sunday, October 01, 2006
The Great Contender
*This is not meant to be a "holier than thou" post. Take it as you want, but I don't believe in preaching. Promise.*
I'm a true believer in the fact that life is best lived when there are challenges (even if I don't realize it at the time, which I NEVER do...). Okay, challenges kind of suck sometimes, but one thing is for sure; life is way more interesting when challenges are involved.
I wrote a couple entries back about my brother getting his "dream job". He called in Saturday asking what time he should come in Monday morning, and they informed him that senior management didn't approve of the position. After all of the tests and such that he went through and all of the time they made him wait (thinking that he had a job), he receives this news. It was a real blow to the ego I would imagine, but he's remarkably strong and has a good support system. He'll be back soon, and I can only hope that the lack of professionalism that this company has showed him will come back to haunt them in the future. I think later he will look back on this challenge and realize that this is making him a different, and hopefully better person.
I believe that everybody has their great contender... Somebody/something who opposes your happy normal life in an effort to force you to change for your better good. Sort of like an opponent (I realize that I am veering outside of the definition), but they're not competing with you, they're forcing you to compete with yourself by presenting challenges. Whether it is a spouse, friend, God, fate... whatever. And it can be a combination or one person/being sometimes, and another person/being another time. Somebody or something that challenges you/pisses you off to do something that you don't want to to to help you on that road to self-realization or discovery. I don't like to talk about religion much because I do view it to be personal, not to be preached. But I feel like God (and universally, not just "Christian-ly") is often my contender (I haven't really found that earthly male challenger as of yet), and has been for my brother recently as he started attending church again. I was more than happy to go with him, especially as I'm getting away from my childhood parish.
While it's difficult at the time to realize that you're being pushed to become a better person, it's good to know in retrospect that there's someone/something out there who cares enough to kick you in the ass to get you going.
Cheers to challenges and our contenders.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Cheers indeed.
Agreed. This resonates with me personally because I had an experience last year somewhat similar to that of your brother. The unprofessional treatment I received from a (former) employer left me feeling deeply resentful. Even now, thoughts of the experience occasionally elicit that emotion. What I can say for sure, though, is that I learned so much from the event - lessons I would never have learned if I hadn't been put through that nightmare.
Sometimes, the most traumatic and difficult experiences are the ones that strengthen you the most.
Post a Comment