Thursday, August 24, 2006

Did you hear?

SAD

Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune... Ppppppp... I got nothing.

4 comments:

Andrew said...

Strange, isn't it? Having nine planets was one of those facts you learned when you were young that you got to take for granted. But it's an example of how good science isn't static -- it's always learning more, revising its theories and trying to better describe the universe we live in.

Anonymous said...

It's also sad because Pluto's discoverer was a fellow Kansan named Clyde Tombaugh. There's already so few famous Kansans and now there's one less (since discoverers of random orbiting hunks of ice are a dime a dozen). It's time for the remaining ones to represent. We need a new sitcom starring Don Johnson and Kirstie Alley, for starters...

Sus said...

If you want a succinct explanation of the process of downgrading Pluto's status, I'm sure Astrophysics boy will oblige. And Jeff, I think Kansas gets to claim Superman and Dorothy. :)

Gilmore Girls Guy said...

I'm not putting an explanation here, but I will say I fully support the decision. I think that having 8 with a clear cutoff is a better case than having 12 (possibly up to 20 somebody), where up to 10 of them have very similar properties to objects that don't qualify as planets.

One other thing to note: Pluto being an ex-planet is not without precedent. The first four asteroids discovered, including Ceres, were considered planets for 45 years, until more were found.

Ah, ranty. Apologies. :)