Well after a week of crazy amounts of driving and riding in a plane, I am safely home and ready to enjoy the quiet life again.
Quincy/St. Louis was great. I got to see a good portion of my mother's family. I went to the fairly new Lincoln library and museum in Springfield, Illinois on Monday. It was pretty cool and engaging, especially for people like me, who don't exactly enjoy the Civil War time period. On Sunday evening, we had a traditional fireworks show out at the farm in which both my father and brother (and myself I guess) will eventually inherit portions. My brother used to lead the fireworks shows, but since he hasn't attended in a while, a friend of the family spends around 400 dollars on fireworks, and sets off some amazing things. The fireworks which are now considered "dinky" were once our grande finale. It's pretty cool. On the 4th, my parents and I stayed in a hotel in St. Louis and watched around 10 different professional shows at different points on both the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers, which was also cool.
DC was also fun. Adrian and I did a ton...a tour at the White House, two Smithsonian Museums, Jazz in the Park, followed our friend to various bars and restaurants with senate workers, the Holocaust Museum, Library of Congress (see my favorite quote below) Howard University, Georgetown, and a melodramatic, but highly amusing ghost tour in Old Town Alexandria. I also got to briefly see an old college buddy...dating way back to freshman year (yay Hagan!). Parts of the trip were stressful, but things came together in the end and we're back in one piece.
Overall, I'm glad to be back, not eating out so much, and finally beginning to put stuff together at the new house (painting and carpeting the room this week!).
And yay for Lauren finally being in Gwinnett!

No comments:
Post a Comment