Wow...I can't believe one week of my four week stay here is almost up. Interesting, but not much has happened. My grades ended up as expected...it was obvious that I completely liked two classes more than the third, but all who know me know that I am an obsessive perfectionist, so I did fine.
It sucks that all of my friends have full-time jobs. Well it just sucked this week because my mom was still teaching and I basically had nothing to do. I think I needed to just sleep and stare at the wall or a good 4 days, just to clear my mind of the past semester. This week is going to prove to be more hectic. Monday I'm going shopping and going to spend the night in Athens. Thursday, I'm going to the Atlanta aquarium, which should be interesting. Another trip to Ikea is in store since I have to get a birthday/christmas present for an obsessive fan :). There's also the whole Christmas thing going on.
Christmas Eve is one of my favorite times, mainly because of the family dinner. We've finally settled on the tradition of surf and turf (lobster tails and steak) along with so much else (my mom is an excellent cook). My best friend Adrian always attends and we are shaking with anticipation by the time dinner is served (we are pathetic, I know).
Today I was forced to go through boxes and boxes of my childhood to decide what I wanted to keep and sell, since my parents are getting ready to sell the house. I found all of my report cards, which contained mostly all A's. I did notice in the earlier grades that I had a difficult time "staying on task when working independently". Once I realized that the teachers were saying stuff about me, I began to play the game, but I still see myself wasting time on things less important. My aptitude was also the same when I was young. Looking at all of the standardized tests, I always scored so high in mathematical skills, and linguistic stuff, and sucked at other things. I'm not even remotely good at math, but sure enough, my math score was higher than my english on the SAT. It's weird how much we think we change.
I have to say the best boxes were the ones from high school. I found so many notes from friends...the things we used to come up with. I also found all of my old auxiliary bears from Christmas parties and Brookwood crap from football games. There were french awards, scholar musician awards (I never played an instrument), rookie of the year for color guard (repeated that at Carolina Crown), band spirit, and so many other things that I completely forgot about. I wouldn't want to relive the drama again, especially after reading my diary, but those years really shaped who I am today.
To continue with the nostalgia, I saw The Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe tonight. I have been reading The Chronicles of Narnia (all 7) every Christmas since I was little (I'm not a new comer just because of the movie). I love the stories. I have to say that Disney did an excellent job. Usually I don't plug movies, but after the disappointment of Harry Potter (mainly because of the length of the book did not translate well to the movie), this was absolutely amazing. I like that C.S. Lewis had all the Christian allusions, but the stories themselves stand alone. I would go more into this, but then I would just be preaching, and my religion discussions are definitely reserved for a more private audience. Anyways, my interpretation of the Chronicles does justice to my beliefs.
Well, I am ridiculously tired and wish to go to bed now. I might update before I go back to Bloomington.
3 comments:
Going to see Chronicles tonight. Hope we agree with your assessment...and what!?! your parents are moving? where to?
BTW you should change your link title for Andrew's blog since he's MARRIED a gal from Statesboro - not dating her anymore :)
Yeah, I noticed that too... wasn't going to say anything though. :) Glad you enjoyed the movie -- we loved it too. We'll probably go see it again before break is over. Hope things are as relaxing in your corner of GA as they are in ours!
Post a Comment