Funny thing about doors closing. I had my last (well hopefully my last) experience with marching band today. While I technically ended marching band two years ago (the last time i actually participated), Northview has definitely felt like home to me. Even though I play a "non-essential" part, I have really enjoyed these past two seasons. The band received 4th today at state, which came as quite a shock, especially after placing first in all captions, except for one. But I was so impressed with how the band and staff took the surprise, almost more than the great performance they gave at 10am this morning. I will miss marching band color guard so much, but I hope this was the last one...time to become an adult. On to winterguard now?
This week was interesting. It finally got cold up here, so I guess this is the beginning of my end. I think this is as far north as I can go (with the exception of the north east). I really dislike winter and am not looking forward to it. School is going to blow this week...so much to do...so little motivation. I had the strangest Thursday/Friday. It started when I got home from Northview. I found this random poem and became overwroght with emotion. I went to bed in such a state, and slept so soundly that I slept through my alarm on Friday, making me almost 30 minutes to work. I am a very light sleeper, which made it odd...and I didn't "wake up" until sometime in the middle of my cataloging class (I guess Dewey Decimal Classification will do that). Last night was an inpromptu visit to Target with Sus, then watching Finding Neverland, which I hadn't yet seen. Today was state finals.
I registered for classes for my LAST semester at school on Friday...right now, I'm only taking computer classes (database design and web design), which will be helpful, but extremely difficult. Plus, with one less class to worry about, I will have more time to concentrate on the two. I'm so excited...the end is in sight!
I'm trying to "go with the flow" in a lot of situations right now...it's definitely a good philosophy for school, definitely a good philosophy for work, and has been for other things too. It's amazing how much happier I am this year...and I really think it has nothing to do with knowing what's going on...it has everything to do with my confidence. I'm still a bit self-depricating, but for the first time in two or three years, I can say that I have myself back.
"Two Headed Calf"
Tomorrow when the farm boy finds this
freak of nature, they will wrap his body
in newspaper and carry him to the museum
But tonight, he is alive and in the north
field with his mother. It is a perfect
summer evening : the moon rising over
the orchard, the wind in the grass.
and as he stares into the sky, there
are twice as many stars as usual.
-Laura Gilpin
1 comment:
Hi Traci! I'm the elusive friend of Philip Walters. You know, the "former" Gamecock that slaves through her own grad program...directly across the street from "the SLIS." :)
I stumbled upon your blog through another belonging to a mutual friend...and I identified with this post too well not to comment. Maybe "third time's the charm" also applies to graduate school semesters. Maybe not. Regardless, though the work be plentiful, there is definitely a heightened peace and confidence this time around. 'Tis sweet indeed!
Let's get together before I vacate the IU premesis! We're long overdue for trading SEC marching band stories. :) Catch me on AIM, username "saxxydiva."
Post a Comment