Thursday, June 10, 2010

June Garden

It has been pretty amazing to watch the garden progress from May to June. It is finally warm in my area. In fact, I've been wondering where spring went, because the mild temperatures seemed to skip over us. In fact, lately, my hair has been super frizzy from HUMIDITY, which is a rarity in these parts. It seems to be a good preparation for the family trip to Georgia coming up in a few weeks.

Anyways, the garden. I didn't get many pictures this time around. Many things have bloomed, but even more are just on the cusp of blooming. For example, we have raspberries forming on the raspberry bush, honeysuckles on the verge of blooming, stargazer lilies, peonies, day lilies, gladioli, spicy basil, etc. We have also planted a new rose bush (lavender--my favorite!) so we're giving the other two a chance to recover from the shock of being moved to accommodate the new one. J predicts the garden to be in full bloom by August, but I suspect we will be in working order by next month.

As of late last month, we were past the last frost and could plant annuals. In addition to countless petunias, freesia, and pansies (which can be perennials here apparently) we managed to fill this pot with three types of lantana, chocolate cosmos (they really smell like chocolate!), and various other plants. They've been battered by wind quite a bit so far, but things are finally dying down and hopefully they'll have a chance to grow.


The delphinium are going nuts this year. They've come back a richer color than they were growing last year, so it has been a pleasant surprise.


I honestly didn't think we'd be successful growing food from seed. I wanted to try one kind of crop this year as an experiment, and it worked a little too well. We've been eating arugula, baby lettuce, and red bib lettuce for a while now and currently have more than we can handle. I will definitely be experimenting more next year, although we just don't have the room to experiment too much. This picture is after I cut a ton the night before.



Finally, strawberries! Meadow ate our *only* strawberry last year. This year, we've done research on how to handle the runners, and luckily we didn't have to buy new plants. The plants are well protected from the doxies this year as well.

I'll be back with a July update. I can't wait to see how the garden progresses this month!

2 comments:

Amanda Roper said...

Your garden is delightful!

Unknown said...

Love your garden and love your layout!