Friday, August 07, 2009

Squeaky Clean Editorial

I love bar soap to the point of obsession (but not compulsion). The only time I have ever preferred a body wash to bar soap was when I toured around the country for this in college. I like the way soap makes my skin feel clean without stripping too much away. Body washes tend to smell detergent-y (to me) and most of the time involve some sort of beads or ribbons that I just don't care to deal with. I like a well made, triple-milled soap, preferably with some sort of scent.

My favorite brands that I must praise are this and this. The former has been falling out of my favor as of late ever since it joined partners with the main owner of the site. I feel like the company has drained the soaps of any of its former variety and creativity (if I could just get my hands on their Fresh Cut Grass and Ocean scents again, I would be so happy). The original and oatmeal varieties are excellent though. The latter is one of my childhood favorites. My dad always made sure that my mom and I always had an ample supply of bath items and this was his choice, mainly because they carry a Gardenia scent, which is my mom's favorite. Also, this company has been in business since the 1700s. When I was a kid I was all over the bubble baths, but these days, the lavender soap is my absolute favorite. Lavender is my all time favorite scent, and these guys get the spicy, yet soothing scent down to a tee.

While I have an ample supply of soap at home (there were some major summer sales and my husband and I are well stocked for the next year) I'm always on the lookout for a good bar soap, whether it be from a major company, locally made, or made from my own hands (one of these days I will try soap making). What is your favorite scent/variety/brand, or better yet, care to prove me wrong on the body wash front?

2 comments:

Amanda Roper said...

I bought some homemade goat's milk soap at the Farmer's Market a few weeks ago. I bought 2 bars for 10 dollars. The scents are heavenly: honeysuckle, lavender, and fresh cotton. My skin feels quite smooth and clean afterwards.

Brett said...

I have long been a utilitarian when it comes to soap or any cleaning product. But on our honeymoon in Asheville, we repeatedly were treated to the interesting textures and scents of locally made bar soap. We bought more soap than we bought food on our honeymoon, and will do it again when supplies begin to dwindle.