Friday, December 12, 2008

Season of Giving

While there are many things in life that I'm frankly miserable about, Jon and I are very fortunate to have a secure living at the moment (knock on wood.)  Since last Christmas, we've been talking about donating to causes and we've finally taken the leap and have done just that.

This year we donated to two causes.  The first is fairly obvious.  I love Christmas... probably because I had such great childhood experiences.  Toys for Tots, a foundation of the USMC, is a wonderful program who is dedicated to helping kids during this time of the year. I hope we were able to help in some small way.
 
The second cause is very near and dear to our hearts.  The DRNA is a very special organization dedicated to placing dachshunds in loving homes.  Our children are far too spoiled to know how severely mistreated dogs can be, especially if they have the slightest medical problems.  We donated an emergency room visit this year and hope to give much more in the future.  Unfortunately, dachshunds are overbred to the point where you see a lot of them in animal shelters (this was not the case a few years back.)  I almost felt bad about getting our guys from a breeder, but I wouldn't give up Quincey and Meadow for the world, or our great experience with the breeder.

Anyways, if you are fortunate enough, I hope you consider giving to a cause this Christmas.  

No comments: