It's sad but true. I was only able to finish 2 books in June. Where did time go? Your guess is as good as mine. Between two wedding showers, a whole bunch of work, and beginning the slow packing process, I was struggling to find time to read. Plus, The Mists of Avalon isn't exactly the shortest book ever.
So here goes... my one review for the month (for the other, see one entry below.)

After adoring
American Gods I decided to give Neil Gaiman's
Neverwhere a try. The novel begins with Richard Mayhew's move from small village Scotland to large and imposing London. Here he meets a bossy, but beautiful woman and becomes engaged, and works a normal 9 to 5 job. His life changes forever when he decides to help an injured girl on the streets. After this, he is slowly unrecognizable to London Above, while quickly drawing closer and closer to the much different world of London Below, a world filled with moving markets, rat speakers, a bridge that will kill one with darkness, and creepy angels. Richard is by no means safe in this world, especially because of his connection with the injured girl named Door, who's family, that has a keen gift for unlocking things, was recently assassinated for unknown reasons. Aided by colorful characters, male and female, the pair try to solve the mystery of Door's family, while facing some pretty scary stuff. I am still not able to decide whether or not I like
Neverwhere or
American Gods more. Both are extremely imaginative and have really endearing protagonists. I loved and became attached to Richard much like I did Shadow. Overall, I really enjoyed this book.
So what's on the list for July? I finished Anya Seton's
Dragonwyck yesterday and began Margaret Atwood's
The Handmaid's Tale to start the 2008 Classics Challenge. I'm also reading
Your Own Sylvia, A Study in Scarlet (my first Doyle,) and
Wuthering Heights. With the move coming up, I hope to be able to read them all!
1 comment:
Awesome, 'cause this is in my stack of reading material! :D
Post a Comment