Monday, August 14, 2006

Au Revoir Childhood

I suppose that this is my last day of childhood. I start my first real-world job tomorrow and I'm feeling all of the normal pre-entrance jitters. While I'm sad to leave the school world behind (for now), I must say that I am much better off this year than I was in August 2005.

Grad school was definitely a low point in my life. It's not like I was poor at school or that I hated Indiana or anything, but things were messed up in my personal life and I made a lot of stupid decisions, mainly in my first year. I made a few key decisions though that I am very thankful for now.

Renouncing my involvement with color guard in December was probably the smartest decision that I made in Indiana. It had nothing to do with where I was teaching (teching). The activity itself though was holding me back... from I guess moving on from other things, like friendships that weren't really friendships and such, and the stupid drama and rumors that accompany the activity. By quitting then, I am now still able to appreciate it for what it was, while still holding admiration for my real friends who are still teaching and inspiring people. I think I wouldn't be that way had I not taken a break from the drama.

I learned the importance of the apology and keeping in touch with those who are true to you. This happened a couple of times last summer, as well as this past spring semester. I think I will be learning this one for a while.

I learned (0ver and over) that things don't always turn out the way you might want... no matter how much effort you put into something (this was a first for me), how good of a person you are, how much weight you lose, how smart you are, or how just or unjust the situation is. I also learned that not getting what I wanted at the time was the best thing for me, because I wouldn't want to be that stupid, shallow, jaded, or pathetic ever again... and I wouldn't want that something anymore. vague.

I learned (again) the importance of focus and the rewards that come from it.

I finally grew (and shrunk) into my body (I don't look like a 12 year old anymore). I lost 25 pounds from my last day of senior year of college to graduation day 2006. I also got rid of any blonde that I ever had in my hair.

I learned to truly appreciate my family.

I'm not saying that I am super mature now or that I have had a "self-realization" experience. I still have a long way to go, and don't know if I will ever get there. But I will say that I have taken steps in the right direction,.

Not many people read this, but thanks for being there, good or bad for the past two years. It has made me a better person.

3 comments:

Brett said...

Well said, my friend.

Sus said...

Poignant post Trac. Few people take the time to delve into introspection as you have here. Good luck with the first few days of the new job, I'm very proud of you girl!

Andrew said...

Hey kid - the mid-20's is a hard period for our generation, there's no doubt about it. So you're not alone in struggling with these things and with the transition to quote-unquote adulthood. I for one think you've done pretty well, considering what a kind and capable person you are. Don't be so hard on yourself.

And yes, you are being very vague.

Good luck with your job!